In recent years, the explosive growth of various emerging services such as 5G mobile Internet, ultra-high-definition video, cloud computing, Internet of Things, VR, AR, and enterprise private lines have posed a great challenge to the bandwidth of operators’ local transmission networks. Some transmission technologies are no longer sustainable.
At the same time, the 5G backhaul network rate will be increased to 100Gb/s later. The shipments of 100G optical modules of various manufacturers have also increased significantly. Among them, 5G enhanced mobile broadband (eMBB) and high-reliability low-latency communication (uRLLC) services and group customer services have stricter requirements on transmission networks, which are mainly reflected in the following four aspects:
- Availability requirements: The circuit availability is usually required to meet 99.99%, but the existing transmission network does not have a fast protection and scheduling capability of channel-level circuits, and it is difficult to guarantee the availability of large-bandwidth circuits in the existing network.
- Large bandwidth requirements: In the future, the bandwidth of the 5G backhaul access layer will reach 50GE, and the core aggregation layer will reach 100GE. Large-scale cloud providers and OTT customers among group customers will also have 100GE high-bandwidth business needs.
- Low latency requirements: 5G services such as uRLLC and VR require transmission network latency to be reduced to one-tenth of the current one.
- Multi-service mixed processing: It is required to simultaneously access 2Mb/s to 100Gb/s on the same transmission system
- Different granular services with large size differences reduce equipment superposition and reduce power consumption in the equipment room. Differentiated service bearers such as low latency, high security, and elastic bandwidth for different services are realized.
The local transmission network based on 10GbE and 40GbE will be difficult to meet the business needs of full-service operations. The new generation of 100G OTN system is mature in theory and hardware and has been applied to the first-level trunk network on a large scale.
Under the pressure of rapid growth in transmission bandwidth, it is imperative to deploy 100GOTN on a large scale in the local transmission network. In the future, a large number of cloud-centric IDC computer rooms will be deployed, which requires that the local transmission network must achieve large bandwidth, low latency, and one-hop direct access to the backbone network.
Therefore, in the future, the local transmission network urgently needs a new type of transmission system, which not only supports large-bandwidth services but also supports high-quality transmission of various granular services; it can not only improve equipment processing capabilities but also reduce equipment power consumption; it can support medium and low The electrical cross processing at the same rate can also support the optical cross processing at the wavelength level.
As a new type of transmission technology, 100GOTN continues the characteristics of large bandwidth and long-distance transmission of WDM, and at the same time combines the advantages of flexible scheduling, multi-service processing, and rich protection mechanisms of SDH, MSTP, IPRAN, and PTN. Various problems are faced by the local transmission network.